Sunday, May 5, 2013

Paintings of Dorothy Luther- a rememberance

Paintings of My Mother

My mother Dorothy Hughes Luther's paintings were all oil paintings. She took The Famous Artist's Course through the mail. She studied with the well known oil painter, Larry Quackenbush of Hudson, Ohio. She also studied with the sculptress Mrs. Yantis and with the painter Jack Richards both in Cuyahoga Falls. Mom gave me my inspiration for art from a very young age. She would encourage me to make cards and then she would send them to Toronto, Canada to my great uncle Lorenz Merleau (Fr. Canadian) that had many heart attacks. I learned lessons in art that were very valuable from my mother but that went against the advice that I received in school. We were asked to often outline our drawing in black at school.  She always told me to think of shapes, not lines. Lines are merely the point at which color changes. I enjoyed many hours of solitude in experiencing the art at the Cleveland Art Museum. I have wonderful memories of spending time there. My mother took a course in Art History there.

No comments:

Post a Comment